Here’s our list of the top 10 things to do in Havana and won’t want to miss on your first trip to Cuba. It will be an adventure for sure if you’ve never visited before. These are the most popular places to visit. Other ways you can visit Cuba is to book an all-inclusive resort or take a cruise around the island.
1) Book lovers will not want to miss the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Ernest Hemingway beginning with a visit to La Vigia Farmhouse, his former home. The site is now home to a monument and museum dedicated to his life and works. During the tour, you will see Cojimar, the village that served as the writer’s inspiration for “The Old Man and the Sea.” No Hemingway tour would be complete without a tour of some of his favorite bars, including the Floridita, La Bodeguita del Medio and Terraza de Cojimar.
2) Stop by the Hotel Nacional in the neighborhood of Vedado to watch the famous cabaret dancers performing to popular music from the 1950s. Guests can enjoy beverages and dinner during the performance. This is a wonderful way to spend the evening.
3) Take the big bus tour with the opportunity to embark and disembark from several stops around the city. Guests can board the bus by the Central park in downtown Havana.
4) The Anacaona Restaurant offers a spectacular fine dining experience at the Hotel Saratoga, a 5-star property. The eatery was known during the 1950s for its orchestra. Unfortunately, that tradition did not survive in modern times.
5) Enjoy a citywide art tour. The Cuba Fine Arts Museum provides the perfect starting point for this adventure. Cuba is home to many talented artists recognized worldwide for their creations. Cuba has a vibrant art scene and individuals who can afford to can add to their personal art collections.
6) Havana offers many opportunities to learn about its history. The el Morro Castle, at the end of the Malecon is among the oldest forts still standing in the Americas.
7) While in Havana, you can visit the site where Castro made speeches to the Cuban citizens. The Plaza de la Revolucion, or Revolution Square, is where it all happened. The bus tour makes a stop in the square. Hop off the bus to snap photographs. Catch the next bus to visit the next attraction.
8) Sit on the Hotel Inglaterra terrace and enjoy live music while sipping on a refreshing Mojito or Cuban beer.
9) Catch a horse carriage and tour the city. The driver will point out important sites and offer interesting facts about Havana history.
10) Explore the lifestyle of the Cuban people. Take a walk beside the Malecon and enjoy the sunshine. This is a great place to listen to the street musicians, watch the children swim and see how the men fish.